Engels is a Unit in NieR: Automata
A massive Goliath-class machine lifeform disguised as a building. The tremendous amounts of energy running through its body forces the unit to emit steam in order to stay cool. When attacking, the heat generated from its arms often causes them to become engulfed in flames. Thought to have been produced in limited numbers, multiple units were recently discovered at the Abandoned Factory - though they were eventually destroyed by black-box reactions from 2B and 9S.
- This is the second Goliath-class enemy the player will face.
- There are a total of seven Engels the player will destroy throughout the game. The first is encountered in 01-03_1, another three during the ending of 01-03_3, two more during 05-02 and the final one in 14-05.
- Engels melee attacks are rather slow and can be dodged using the 'perfect evade' mechanic.
- Engels is fought both on the ground and in flight units.
- Similarly to Marx, when fighting Engels on the ground, it uses saw attacks which can be destroyed to make them less effective.
- The slow energy projectiles can be destroyed with melee attacks.
- A deceased Engels is the protagonist of the Sidequests Machine Examination 1 and Machine Examination 2.
- This boss is a reference to Friedrich Engels, german philosopher, social scientist, journalist and businessman. He was co-author of the Communist Manifesto with Karl Marx.