Grimoire Weiss is a companion and deuteragonist in NieR.
Grimoire Weiss, also known as the "white book", was initially released with Nier's help. He was known as the white book, because he is meant to stop Grimoire Noir, the black book. In the past, Weiss was a part of Project Gestalt along with those who became known as Grimoire Noir and Grimoire Rubrum. Grimoire Weiss "only contains a small portion of the Sealed Verses power," as said by Devola and Popola, meaning that the power of the Sealed Verses are immensely strong.
Grimoire Weiss appears as downloadable content in NieR: Automata. His likeness can be used as a pod appearance.
|Weiss, you dumbass!|
SPOILER ALERT - Plot details for NIER follow.
And Then There Were None
- See also: And Then There Were None
NieR RepliCant / NIER
Grimoire Weiss is a mysterious book of immeasurable wisdom and age that becomes a powerful ally in Nier's journey to cure Yonah. Grimoire Weiss possesses a sharp tongue and an inflated ego, but often feigns ignorance. Whether he does this to test Nier or because he simply loses interest is unknown. What is certain, however, is that he can't stand to have his name abbreviated. He must be addressed by his full name at all times! Aside from being a talking, floating, all-knowing book, Grimoire Weiss uses the Sealed Verses that Nier uncovers to cast powerful magic spells that assist Nier in combat.
Weiss is in fact a Gestalt of a Hamelin Organization Crusader (a group of child soldiers raised to use magic to fight against the Legions created by the White Chlorination Syndrome that spread from the queen-beast) bound into a book. The Red Book, Grimoire Rubrum and the Black Book, Grimoire Noir, were also created this way. The true purpose of Grimoire Weiss is to fuse with Grimoire Noir to force the Gestalts (Shades) to return into their Replicant bodies and become true humans again.
During the battle against the Shadowlord, Weiss falls on the ground, revealing that all his power was used by Nier in the last five years. He then uses the last of his strength to completely destroy Grimoire Noir, killing himself in the process.
The World of Recycled Vessel
- There are a total of 13 grimoires, however only 3 are seen in-game.
- He can act as a fan by flipping his own pages. People praise him so highly for this that he no longer minds doing it.
- Weiss (correctly spelled "weiß") is the German Homonym for the substantive "white" and for the verb "know".
- A grimoire is a Medieval book of magic.
- Weiss is voiced by Liam O'Brien in English, well known for his work as the voice of Lezard Valeth from Valkyrie Profile 2, Kain Highwind and Caius Ballad from the Final Fantasy series, Gaara from the Naruto series, Asura from Asura's Wrath, and Illidan Stormrage from World of Warcraft series.